2, సెప్టెంబర్ 2010, గురువారం

Island Green.. Every Man's Challenge

After a long time, got an opprutnity to play golf with my old nemesis, will call him R2 for the sake of anonymity. Even though I used to play all summer at least once a week ever since I moved to this house, surprisingly- I haven't touched my clubs in the last two years. With all the hectic schedule at work along with my toddlers Kumon, music and swimming classes, I did not even get to driving range once in the last two years. No Naagamani and no plans for this weekend - I was planning on staying home, drinking and watching movies in between the long phone conversations. Out of the blue R2 called and said how about a Game. I don't remember the last time I said "no" when some one offered me a smoke,drink,movie or a Golf Game, may be because I never did.

My nemesis R2 is known for learning a sport for the first time playing by my side and within no time will beat me at the sport. It happened with Tennis, Bowling, Snooker and next it looks like Golf. The guy who gives a lot of excuses to visit my place, is ready to come just because we can play Golf. So here we are at the beautiful Bella Vista Golf course where I have played for three summers continuosly. The picture shown is the 15th hole on this course - the Golfers refer to as "The ISLAND GREEN".
It's funny how men obsessed with Golf (as a matter of fact any sport) brag about their talent. The hype starts right from the parking lot before even teeing off. In between the parking lot and teeing off every one has their to do things. Getting enough beer, practicing few puts, hitting a few balls, finding your cart partner, getting the handicaps and most importanly deciding on the wood(club) you are going to use. This all happens while warming up on intimidating your opponent. When the game starts the intimidation increases. Men give so many excuses on Golf course when having a bad round, it almost makes you think they are no different from women. Bad clubs, gloves, back problems, wrong clubs, bad lie, jinxing, pulling, stands, and even more practice is also an excuse for a bad round of golf. 

 When every one gets to the 15th hole, the island green shown in picture it brings out the challenge in men. You will understand the challenge if you look at R2 teeing off on 15th hole. The flag is placed on the island with 20 feet radius with slope starting at the center and to the lower first half of the circle. The distance to flag is 165 yards. Even though the island green has 20 feet radius the front hemisphere is slopy and if you hit in there the ball might roll down into water. Your only chance is to use a high number iron (6,7 or 8) depending on your swing and hit it at 25 degrees trajectory aiming at the flag.  Club selection and accuracy with luck is the only way you will end up on green. Most of the players do not end up on the green when they tee off at this hole.

As usual we both did not end up on green on our first shots and ended up in water. That's where you think players will take a drop and move on to the green. Not willing to accept the defeat we both pulled another set of balls and tried again. This time R2 went right and I went left. We continued with a few more unsuccessful hits, before we realized we left with just enough balls to finish the 18th hole. It happens with men, because they are challenged. When challenged, men strecth too far rather than accepting defeat and moving on. That's why I think "Every man's challenge is knowing how far he needs to go before he accepts the defeat".
After a bad round of Golf for me and an awful round of Golf for R2, I have earned bragging rights for winning. Called R2 next day to see what he is upto, guess what he is at the driving range practicing for the next week challenge. The hype, intimidation and bragging again in the next week. I already picture myself winning the next round and R2 is determined to win in the next round. 

Men don't like to accept defeat.

కామెంట్‌లు లేవు:

కామెంట్‌ను పోస్ట్ చేయండి